Saturday, August 27, 2011

'Lions and Tigers' Beadwoven Tile Bracelet


A while ago I posted 10 Ways To Break A Creative Slump.  Since then I realized there's another great way to get inspired. . . . 





Join some sort of a group that is into creative challenges!  For example, I'm part of a group called Etsy Beadweavers.  To be part of this group we have to enter one of their 12 creative challenges per year.  I hadn't been able to enter it yet, because of my own time constraints.  But the challenge for September is "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!  - a throw-back to The Wizard of Oz!  This really got the ideas flowing!  Just the name is very indicative of the piece I chose to make.


I'm calling it "'Lions and Tigers' Beadwoven Tile Bracelet."  









 Can you see why I called it that?












Any guesses?
.


I decided to make a "fabric" square (or tile) of beaded tiger stripes, and then chose a swirly gold pattern to represent the lion.  Ironically the tile containing the swirls also could represent the "twister" that picked Dorothy up and took her to the land of Oz!  I love that it has a double-meaning!  The gold frames on each of the beaded tiles and the gold-tone metal connectors represent the yellow-brick road.  (Incidentally, the bracelet itself could represent the road, since it looks like a path of stepping stones leading you somewhere!)







If you look closely you will notice the faceted red crystals that connect the "tiles" of beaded fabric mimic the  color of Dorothy's ruby slippers.  Finally, I chose to use two tiny, box clasps in the shape of bows to finish it, just like the bows on her iconic, sparkly ruby slippers.






So this will be my first submission to an Etsy Beadweaver's Challenge!!!  This will be fun!!  So don't forget to take a look at the Etsy Beadweavers blog!  It shows all the entries, and from September 9 -15, you can put your two cents in, and let them know which piece is your favorite!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...