Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chameleon Flower Ring Challenge

One of my friends mentioned the idea of making rings.  My first reaction was that they would have to be custom rings because of the range of sizes needed.  (She wanted something that many different people would be able to wear.)  She then mentioned that maybe I should make stretchy rings.  I initially shied away from this idea because I know that stretchy material is naturally not as strong, and may not last a long time.  Of course I want my work to last and reflect a certain quality.  This was in the back of my mind for about a month.  Then I stumbled upon a way to make an adjustable ring!!!!  Voila!!






So, I just sat down to "play" with the idea a little.  I used five cubic zirconiums found years earlier at a local gem faire - an amazing find!  I formed these droplets into a flower with Swarovski crystals clustered at the center.   Before placing it on the ring, I made a beaded network from size 15 seed beads.  And it worked!







But why is it a Chameleon Flower Ring?  Because the most intriguing element of this ring is the color of the cubic zirconiums!!  You see in regular daylight they are a very light violet color.  But to my surprise, when I went into a parking lot "product testing" the design, the petals transformed into a mysterious, almost glowing periwinkle blue!!!  Amazing - Just like a little Chameleon!  So if you get tired of the color, just change the lighting!!!






If you'd like to see it in person, this ring is available at my friends day spa:  Studio 12 Urban Day Spa.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...